Thursday, May 3, 2007

Outline

Intro:
Attn. getter: "The defence of one's self, justly called the primary law of nature, is not, nor can it be abrogated by any regulation of municipal law." --- James Wilson, Wilson, Of the Natural Rights of Individuals.
Preview:
A. There are many positive effects attributed with the use of a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
B. There are also many negative effects that are associated with the use of a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
C. There are many reasons why I agree that we should be able to use a gun with deadly force in self-defense.
Thesis: There are many issues surrounding laws allowing people to use deadly force with a gun in self-defense.

Body 1: Positive effects of deadly force while using guns.
Topic sentence: There are many positive effects attributed with the use of a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
A. Less criminal activity
B. Less violent attacks
C. Better sense of protection

Body 2: Negative effects of Deadly force while using guns.
Topic sentence: There are also many negative effects that are associated with the use of a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
A. Mistaken identity accidents
B. More crime
C. More murders
D. More guns in the hands of criminals

Body 3:Persuasion piece whether I agree or disagree that we should be allowed to use deadly force in a self-defense situation.
Topic sentence: There are many reasons why I agree that we should be able to use a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
A. Why do I disagree or agree with this?
B. Statistics to support my view
C. Evidence to support my view

Conclusion:
Clincher:
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would."
--- John Adams, Boston Gazette, Sept. 5, 1763,reprinted in 3 The Works of John Adams 438 (Charles F. Adams ed., 1851).
Preview of 3 main points;
A. There are many positive effects attributed with the use of a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
B. There are also many negative effects that are associated with the use of a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
C. There are many reasons why I agree that we should be able to use a gun and deadly force in self-defense.
Restate thesis: There are many issues surrounding laws allowing people to use deadly force with a gun in self-defense.

No comments: